OVERVIEW – Heart to Heart International (HHI) believes in strengthening communities through health access. Based on guidelines from the CDC and the WHO, HHI created a COVID-19 Youth Ambassador Program for high school students to lead a new generation of health educators. The Youth Ambassador participants will develop their critical thinking, communication, problem solving and collaboration skills while becoming leaders in their communities.
Check out some of the training videos for the program here!
The training is broken into three parts:
Part 1: Providing a Foundation of Knowledge Regarding COVID-19
Self-paced online learning: 1.5 – 2.5 hours
Short, self-paced online, video learning modules and worksheets that Ambassadors will complete at their convenience. Modules give Ambassadors background and resources related to COVID-19, how to complete a needs analysis, designing health outreach experiences for their communities, and evaluating those outreach efforts.
Part 2: Creating a Community Outreach and Safety Plan
Live workshop: 1.5 – 2 hours
Heart to Heart International trainers lead a live Zoom workshop for Ambassadors offering guidance as the participants work in small groups to develop outreach plans that target the needs of their communities.
Part 3: Building a community of leaders
Group project: 1.5 – 2.5 hours
Ambassadors discuss their success and challenges at bi-weekly virtual meetings to build support and gain insight from one another. Ambassadors can showcase their creativity to build a community outreach plan specific to their city, school or group understanding that their solution could be a variety of options: a song, a video, an Instagram post, a website landing page, a poster, an infographic, etc.
By the end of the program, learners will be able to:
- Explain what COVID-19 is confidently
- Explain symptoms and at-risk groups for COVID-19
- Demonstrate the proper use of masks, hand sanitizer and hand washing techniques confidently
- Explain coping techniques for methods to improve mental health during the pandemic
- Identify learning gaps in their community related to COVID-19 knowledge and prevention
- Analyze and select the appropriate methods and resources to meet the needs of their community
- Create a community outreach plan
- Increase awareness and prevention of COVID-19 in their community
- Create a learning experience
- Create an evaluation of their outreach plan
STUDENT COMMITMENT – Learners must finish all the self-paced modules, actively participate in the live workshop, and complete a community outreach plan to finish the program. Upon completion, ambassadors will receive a Heart to Heart International Youth Ambassador Certification.
If you are interested in participating in the Heart to Heart International Youth Ambassador program, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Partner Spotlight: ArtClass Content
- Hygiene essentials to Afghan refugees
- Hurricane Ida makes landfall – HHI responds
- Volunteer Spotlight: Maureen Ritho, Medical Laboratory Consultant
- Haiti team treats Haitian earthquake survivors